Haroon Mosque was registered under the Royal Act of Islamic Mosques and the official number of the Mosque is #2 in the year 1947.
Haroon Mosque was named after the father of Muhammad Yusuf Bafadel – “Haroon Bafadel”.
At first, the mosque was situated on the bank of Chaopraya River around 200 years ago. It was a village called “Ton Samrong” on the east of the bank of the River of King. The Mosque was made of wood and it was said to be built in Java style mixed with Ayuthaya arts. So the first name of the Mosque is “Masjid Ton Samrong”.
In the year 1837 or around 173 years ago, Musa Bafadel an Indonesian-Arab trader from Pantiyanah south of Borneo sailing between Siam, Malaya and Indonesia, arrived here in Ton Samrong village. He decided to reside in this place and brought 3 sons with him: Haroon, Uthman and Ishaaq. Uthman headed for Malaysia, Kadah State and resided there. Ishaaq traveled to Cambodia and resided there. Haroon continued his father businesses between Siam and Malaya. He then traveled up and down Bangkok and Ayuthaya and met a lady named Umdang Poom whom he later married. They had a son named “Muhammad Yusuf”.
After Musa Bafadel passed away, Haroon the only son who possessed all the properties of his father in Siam looked after his son “Muhammad Yusuf” until he turned into a young man. On 12th Rabi Ul Awal A.H. 1299 or A.D. 1879, Haroon Bafadel recorded in his testament that he had a wish to give all of his properties in Siam as a legacy to his son Muhammad Yusuf. Two years later, Haroon passed away and Muhammad Yusuf Bafadel took care of his legacy including land around the mosque and the construction of the mosque too.
In 1899, Royal Thai Government under King Rama V, saw that the land on the bank of Chaopraya River where the mosque located was suitable for Royal Custom House. Therefore, the Government offered Yusuf Bafadel pieces of land in the inner side in exchange of the land of Ton Samrong but continued the right to use the pier in order to access to the River as normal.
The wooden construction Mosque was moved to the inner land.
In 1934, Muhammad Yusuf decided to replace a wooden mosque with a brick and lime. Muhammad Yusuf then sacrificed his properties by selling land on Silom Road for 180 Chang. There was also charity made by locals, Indian traders to build this new mosque.
The new mosque was the talk of the town in size, wooden decorative art and craftsmanship.
This mosque was named “Behind Custom House Mosque”, and “Wat Muang Kare Mosque” which was named after Buddhist Temple “Wat Muang Kare”.
Later on in the year 1947, Haroon Mosque was registered #2 under the Royal Act of Islamic Mosques.
Special thanks to Imam Abdul Ahad.
Ms. Mei Mei