No specific modes of worship or special rules are set by the Shari'ah to observe this month.
The word Safar means "whistling of the wind". As most of the months were named according to weather conditions, at the time when this name was assigned it was probably a windy time of the year. However, being a lunar calendar, the months shift about 11 days every year so, the seasons do not necessarily correspond to the name of the month anymore.
Performing a sacrifice on the 6th day of this month is an innovation.
1. The Battle of Abwaa took place on 12th of Safar in the year 2 AH
2. The Battle of Khaibar took place in the year 7 AH
3. Ali (RA) married the Prophet's (SAW) daughter Fatima (RA) in the latter days of Safar 2
4. AHKhubaib Ibn Adey (RA) was martyred in Safar in the year 4 AH in Makkah
5. Zaid Ibn Dathina (RA) was martyred in this month in the year 4 AH in Makkah
Today is Safar 22 1430 H. (Tuesday 17 Feb, 2009)
**Submited form http://www.ciinetwork.net/broadcasting/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=106&PHPSESSID=ed2470cd1495e0e5057f656bca85519d